Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Heirloom piece


A few months ago I was asked by a woman to take her wedding dress, cut it up, and make it into a formal party dress for her granddaughter. I was nervous because this was uncharted territory for me. Never before had I been asked to deconstruct a garment with as much sentimental value as this. I had never made a formal gown from repurposed materials either. I was excited to take on the challenge and had enough confidence in my skills that I wouldn't completely ruin the project!
After deconstructing the wedding dress (which was a floor length pale yellow/cream colored form-fitted satin dress), I had to plan the layout of the new dress. Fortunately I had plenty of yardage and only had to purchase fabric for the bodice lining. The bodice, skirt, and net underskirt were easily cut from the skirt and underskirt of the original dress. I was able to use the original zipper as well.
The new party dress is a floor length gown with a net underskirt. Bodice has banded cap sleeves and scoop neck. I completed the garnment with wine colored ribbon accents and a wine colored chiffon sash/belt.
This dress will be adorable on this little girl. Hopefully she will pass it onto her children and it will become a much loved heirloom dress.
I hope to post some before pictures of the original wedding dress as well as some pictures of the little girl wearing her new gown!

No comments: