Friday, August 14, 2009

Steampunk


Recently a friend of mine gave me a picture of a jacket she would like me to recreate. It is a "steampunk" buckle jacket. I've heard the term before, but never really understood the meaning behind it. Wikipedia says that steampunk is a term that denotes works set in an era or world where steam power is still widely used-usually the 19th century, and often Victorian era England-but with prominent elements of either science fiction or fantasy.

Looking at this type of fashion I am seeing infusions of H.G. Wells, Jules Vern, classic goth, and gypsy. What a mix! Elements of this type of clothing include rivets, buckles, metal details, leather, velour or velvet, gauzy materials, and antique lace. I have come across many full asymmetrical skirts, fitted jackets and tops, knee-high boots, double-breasted fitted vests, and top hats that use the description "steampunk".

This is the jacket that I am going to recreate. Should be a fun project!

1 comment:

Kacey said...

I love this! You better show us a picture of your recreation!